Ephesians 5:33b: And the wife should respect her husband.
Respect is his primary need, his deepest desire.

I Put My Followers First

Monday, October 04, 2010

Why Two Monday Posts?

If you follow my Facebook Fan Page you already know what a fan I am of Courtney at Women Living Well.  I share many, many, many of her blog posts with my fans because she inspires me.

So, imagine my surprise when I discovered (a little late) that she is hosting a blog hop every Monday for the month of October - beginning today.

Even though I already posted one entry (that didn't suit her hop) -
I decided to write again so I could join in - because of the appropriateness of the challenges.   Here is her challenge for today:
October 4 - Go buy an extra large candle and light a candle everyday in your home. I will be starting mine in the morning! But you can start yours at dinner time. Do what makes sense for your family. I will be placing mine in the kitchen - the main hub of my home. Each time the candle catches your eye, say a prayer for peace in your home.
Thanks to a good friend I just happen to have a brand new, large, vanilla scented candle to use for this challenge.  I love the scent of vanilla in the early autumn air.  But, that is not what motivated me to join the blog hop.

This is:

I was washing dishes this morning - odd, I know. I usually postpone everything until mere moments before my husband arrives home from work.  I had decided to be more intentional about making his home a haven - before I read Courtney's challenge.  That means getting the housework done and out of the way before he gets home - so I won't be distracted when we're together.

See, I married him with one overarching intention - to improve the quality of his life.  I had drifted into apathy and was no longer living up to my own expectation.  When I was going to sleep last night, after scheduling my earlier post ("What Color Is Your Mad") to post in my sleep - I said my prayers and felt a pang, a twinge of guilt.

I determined to set a new course this week in my own behavior.

So, anyway - while I was washing dishes this morning, I was playing my favorite Dean Martin CD.  This song - the lyrics - stopped me dead in my tracks.  (No! I'm not making excuses for why the housework is still waiting for me.)  Just listen - I think you'll understand:



Sweet, sweet memories you gave-a me
you can't beat the memories you gave-a me
Take one fresh and tender kiss
Add one stolen night of bliss
One girl, one boy
Some grief, some joy
Memories are made of this
Don't forget a small moonbeam
Fold in lightly with a dream
Your lips and mine
Two sips of wine
Memories are made of this
Then add the wedding bells
One house where lovers dwell
Three little kids for flavor
Stir carefully through the days
See how the flavor stays
These are the dreams you will savor
With His blessings from above
Serve it generously with love
One man, one wife
One love through life
Memories are made of this
Memories are made of this
So there you have it.  A little bit of housework to set the scene - Courtney's candle scenting the air - Memories Are Made of This - and my husband's home will be a haven when he returns.

Thanks Courtney!  I appreciate the impact you have on my life.

3 comments:

homeschool101 said...

Wow Sharon, I so relate to your post. I have really been striving to make sure my daily chores are done before he gets home. It has been tough with the little ones, but I am still working to press on and make my home a haven for my husband and family. Very encouraging words. Thanks for sharing.

carebear7951 said...

I love when songs speak to me about my own life. I often have a song going through my head about what is going on in my home or heart.
I feel bad that my hubby often comes home to chaos after a long day at work. I try to tell myself that right now it is a season and he does understand, but I'm working on making it better. I can't do "perfect" with a houseful, but I can work to do better, right?
Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting! I *heart* comments. ;)

Anonymous said...

Very beautiful - both, post and song!

Thank you for commenting on my post!

Can I get an Amen?