Ephesians 5:33b: And the wife should respect her husband.
Respect is his primary need, his deepest desire.

I Put My Followers First

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Word to the Wives Wednesday (Insight)

Word to the Wives ~ ~ Guiding a family through perilous times weighs heavily on a man's heart.  As your husband finds The Way through tough times, you might buoy him up with an encouraging word of approval and peace.


Card cover 
Watercolor by Robert Gilbert
(available)

Redundancy, including redundant encouragement, can be a most effective form of communication.  It may be needed if your husband has been struggling with making ends meet, facing difficult times at work or struggling with a wayward child.  God has placed the weight of responsibility squarely on a man's shoulders.   Your encouragement honors his role, acknowledges his desire to achieve and expresses your trust in him.

When he feels like giving up, your outward expression of respect means more than ever.  Finding the right words at that time is not always easy but, then again, the right Word may be as close as your knees.

Please allow me to share a personal and current struggle.  My husband is facing a difficult time this next week.  His hours will be cut from 40 per week to 8 hours per week.  I am currently laid off and receiving unemployment checks.

I know that when he considers the future, he wavers between faith and fear.  So do I.   He encourages me and I encourage him.  Some days we are both frightened together and all we can do is hold on to one another.  

He prays.  I pray.  We pray together.  And God answers.  Some of the answers my husband hears are demonstrated by way of a compliment or sharing of cooking duties or the large pink rosebud in the red plastic drinking glass by my bed.

Some of the answers I receive I can share in these cards that I produce.  Unfortunately, my husband cannot read due to his stroke.  So, I ask him to come and sit beside me at the computer and I read the cards to him.  This is the card (Insight) that I'm sharing with him tonight.

I pray that you can find the encouraging words you need for the times that challenge your husband.


Word from a Wife concerning last week's Word to the Wives -
I received a report from a wife who gave last Wednesday's featured card, Rough Ways, to her husband.  She wanted to share his reaction.  Her husband is not a believer and is struggling to hold on, having very nearly lost his business in the economic and political climate of the day.   She gave him the card and, as he read it, tears filled his eyes.  (He is not usually an emotional man.)  He placed the card on his night stand, a place of honor.  She knew that it would be moved to the drawer when something more important came along.  But, not this time.  This time he held it up and told her, "I'm taking this one to the office."

I appreciate her joyful report!  It was very exciting for both of us!

I appreciate all the comments that many of you have been sharing.  You have lifted my spirits at a time when I've needed it most.  Friends are so helpful when times are trying.  Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Praise God that He is using you Sharon to minister to women & thereby He is using those women to minister to their husbands! What a HUGE blessing!

Thank you so much for your sweet comment! I love your idea for the Priority Male card ;o) I can't wait to see it!!! I'm humbled that my post had a creative effect on you!

Keep up the awesome work you are doing for His Kingdom!!!

RN Mama said...

I think you have given wonderful advice here, which can be used in every marriage!

Last year both my sister and brother-in-law lost their jobs, and at that time they had 3 children under 6 and she was pregnant. So, my heart goes out to you and your husband, I know how difficult unemployment can be:(

Mrs4444 said...

I think men feel the stress of unemployment in a tougher way than women do, and it's not really fair, but that's house they are raised. It makes me even more appreciate that my husband currently works in a miserable job, for our family's benefit; he just stays the course. Your card is beautiful.

I wish you luck during this scary time and will add you to my prayer list.

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

Thank you for sharing this! I try to be encouraging and just when I think I'm pushy dh says "Thank you." :D What a blessing!

Beth Zimmerman said...

Thank you so much for sharing this! We are in rough waters indeed right now and I need to remember to be a voice of encouragement for my husband!

Lindsey said...

I am so thankful I found your site. I am struggling to remain invested in my marriage. I will be back here often!

Can I get an Amen?