Ephesians 5:33b: And the wife should respect her husband.
Respect is his primary need, his deepest desire.

I Put My Followers First

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Reverence and Respect



Before I write my 100th blog post I thought I might finally take a moment to clarify.  What is it, exactly, that I blog about?   

I blog about wives respecting or reverencing their husbands in the way God asked them to (Ephesians 5:33b).  

It wasn't until this 98thth post that I realized that I  never shared my research with you, my readers.  
I begin by finding the meaning of the words that describe the subject, in this case "reverence" and "respect".  (Edited from 99th to 98th - my math ain't so good.)

I first gather synonyms.  I might even “dig down” on a particular synonym to  broaden my understanding while discarding others for their obscure connection.  Finally I consider the dictionary definitions. 

During the collection process I simply want to collect and present.

I ask you, the reader, to draw your own conclusions or to identify examples in your life that amplify your understanding of how a wife can “reverence” or “respect” her husband.   

Synonymns

admiration, adoration, appreciation, approbation, approval, awe, consideration, courtesy, deference, deification, devotion, devoutness, dignity, esteem, estimation, favor, fealty, fear, genuflection, high esteem, homage, honor, love, loyalty, obeisance, obsequiousness, ovation, piety, praise, prostration, recognition, regard, religiousness, repute, respect, reverence, testimonial, tribute, veneration, worship

Related words and phrases

abide by, accede, accept, acclaim, accommodativeness, accord, acquiescence, adhere to, admiration, admire, adore, agree to, amenities, applaud, appreciate, approve, assent, attend, attentiveness, attraction, awareness, be attached, be awed by, be big on, be constant, be crazy about, be crazy for, be devoted to, be faithful, be fond of, be kind to, be loyal, be mad about, be nuts about, be stuck on, be sweet on, be true, be wild about, bear in mind, bear respect for, bear with, believe, care for, cherish, cleave to, commend, compliment, comply with, concern, conform to, consent to, considerateness, consideration, courteousness, credit, defer to, delight in, desire, devotion, do honor to, enjoyment, esteem, esteem (approve of), extol, favor, find congenial, follow, forbearance, friendliness, glorify, go along with, go for, go with the flow, good behavior, graciousness, grin and bear it, hail, hallow, have good opinion of, have high opinion of, heed, high regard, hold a high opinion of, hold dear, hold in respect, homage, honor, idolize, indulgence, kindness, laud, like, live with, look up to, look upon, love, maintain, make allowance for, make room, marvel at, mercy, mindfulness, moon over, notice, obligingness, observe, pat on the back, pay attention, pay homage to, politeness, praise, prize, rate highly, recognize, reflect, regard, regard highly, remember, responsiveness, revere, roll with punches, satisfy, savor, sense, sensibility, sensitiveness, sensitivity, set store by, show consideration, show courtesy, solicitude, stand by, stand for, submit to, support, sympathy, tact, take into account, take pleasure in, think highly of, think much of, thoughtfulness, tolerance, tolerate, treasure, understanding, uphold, value, venerate, veneration, view, want, wonder at, worship, yield to 


Definitions

rev·er·ence–noun
1. a feeling or attitude of deep respect tinged with awe; veneration.
2. the outward manifestation of this feeling: to pay reverence.
3. a gesture indicative of deep respect; an obeisance, bow, or curtsy.
4. the state of being revered.
5. ( initial capital letter ) a title used in addressing or mentioning a member of the clergy (usually prec. by your  or his ).

rev·er·ence –verb (used with object)
6. to regard or treat with reverence; venerate

re·spect–noun
1. a particular, detail, or point (usually prec. by in )
2. relation or reference
3. esteem for or a sense of the worth or excellence of a person, a personal quality or ability, or something considered as a manifestation of a personal quality or ability
4. deference to a right, privilege, privileged position, or someone or something considered to have certain rights or privileges; proper acceptance or courtesy; acknowledgment
5. the condition of being esteemed or honored
6. respects, a formal expression or gesture of greeting, esteem, or friendship
7. favor or partiality.
8. Archaic . a consideration.
re·spect–verb (used with object)
9. to hold in esteem or honor
10. to show regard or consideration for
11. to refrain from intruding upon or interfering with
12. to relate or have reference to.


This was probably the tenth time that I have compiled this list.  (I'm really bad about saving research notes.)  I saw phrases I had never seen before and was humbled by others.  When I think of how I treat my own husband, these words have instructed me again.

How about you?  Did you learn anything new today about the wife's job description as envisioned by God?  Do you feel as I do, a little less diminished and a lot more empowered?


~ ~ ~

Enhanced by Zemanta

5 comments:

See Mom Smile said...

Thank you so much for reading my guest post and your lovely comments. Wow, you have a whole blog on the subject. You have one lucky man!

Patricia said...

Girl! Am I ever going to have fun with this!

Mama Pike said...

I enjoyed reading about your research about showing our husband's respect. My husband, Beau, keeps growing as a husband, father, grandfather and member of our church (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints).

I intend to become a regular visitor to your blog. Keep up this unique work!

Karen said...

Thank you for sharing this in depth study...I did learn from it....

Ms.Tierra said...

Great words, I didn't know there were so many descriptive words on respect. I can and will learn from this post!

Can I get an Amen?