Ephesians 5:33b: And the wife should respect her husband.
Respect is his primary need, his deepest desire.

I Put My Followers First

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Spell Breaking Magic

This morning's episode of the fairy tale I've been writing for a Brickfish contest presents an interesting concept.

Until the heroine (Persnickety Princess Penelope) showed an interest in the activity of the hero (Ferdinand the frog), he did not seem the least bit interested.  (One reader actually asked me if the frogs were gathered willingly, knowingly or eagerly.)   It surely seemed that Ferdinand was simply enduring the contest.

Today that perspective was altered.
Festus and Ferdinand were selected for the second race and were waiting their turn a few paces back from the starting line. The Princess was watching the first racers. Ferdinand was watching the Princess. Keeping him sitting for hours with her hand looming over every head, never choosing, had soured his opinion of the persnickety Princess. This new Princess, animated and excited for a competition, was captivating. "Earth to Ferdinand! Ferdinand!" Ferdinand nearly jumped out of his skin. "What? What did you say?" Festus nodded towards the starting line. "We're next. You got a strategy in mind?" Ferdinand snorted. "Move fast. Jump high. Crouch low. Repeat. That should do it."
I got to thinking about it today.  Could this be the "big secret" to success or failure in marriage?  If my husband does not think that I have an interest in his activities, will he think that I love him?  Will he believe that I respect him?  Will he think he even matters or will he think I am just going through the motions?

If you've been following my fairy tale, it was heading in that direction: Superficial princess selects shallow frog and prepares to magically transform him into a prince.

Real life does not come with spell breaking magic; not the kind we read of in fairy tales.

I'm not going to dissect this story any further today.  I just wanted to take a look at how I treat my "prince".

I have not been showing interest in (respecting) the important things in his life and he's become a bit of a toad.





(I need your vote every day.)

Thank you!

1 comment:

Jenny @ Jems From Jenny said...

This is really STELLAR stuff Sharon!! Can't tell you how much I enjoy your writing. :) You are an inspiration, reminding me with your words every day to be the girl that HE has called me to be. Being new to the blogging world, I look up to seasoned writers like you. Keep up the AWESOME work girl!

Can I get an Amen?