Ephesians 5:33b: And the wife should respect her husband.
Respect is his primary need, his deepest desire.

I Put My Followers First

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Did You Think to Pray?

Today's chapter in our ongoing fairy tale may surprise some people.  References to God or prayer don't generally appear in stories of fantasy.  I decided it was high time to give it a try.


Princess Penelope was seated at breakfast when her father arrived. 
"Good morning, Princess. Did you sleep well?" 
The princess shook her head as she swallowed. "It was a difficult night. I woke often." 
Her father sat across from his daughter and looked her in the eye. "I am sorry to hear that my dear. This is a difficult decision; one that you must not make in haste. Yet, you must also not expect the answer to come simply because you have taken time and great caution." 
Picking a frog was serious business. If the king had insight to share, she was willing to listen. 
"Be intentional in your quest. When you hold your hand above each frog, you must ask God if your choice is right."

Have you, like me, ever watched a television show or a movie and become frustrated when no one addresses problems with prayer?  It drives me absolutely crazy sometimes.  So many story lines would go completely different if the character would pray and respond to the answer given.

I was teaching my little Sunbeams (4 year olds) about prayer today.  I asked them if they could tell me why it is important to remain quiet when a prayer is being said.  No one really had an answer.  The two other adults in the room also looked to me, somewhat puzzled to consider what the answer might be.

The answer is something that my husband taught me.  He said that when he prays, he talks aloud to God and then says his ohms (clears his mind).  "And then I close my mouth in quietness and I listen and I follow what is said."  

It is wonderful counsel and I honor him for providing it.  It is such "successful" advise that I cannot consider life without following it.   I wonder what will happen with our Princess.  Will she think to pray?  Or will she continue to lean on her own understanding?


No comments:

Can I get an Amen?